Sun Art Paper Kit (10x8", 12 Sheets)
All you need is sunshine, water and your creativity to make unique and beautiful sun art prints! Place natural objects like flowers, leaves, shells or even man-made objects on the sun-sensitive paper. Set outside on a sunny or overcast day or even indoors in a sunny window. Sit back and watch as the sun turns the paper a beautiful blue!
Made In USA
Includes 12 8″x10″ sheets of paper and a clear acrylic sheet to hold your art in place
Cyanotypes are photographs sometimes known as blueprints, sunprints or sunlight prints. A photogram is a photographic image made without the use of a camera by placing objects on light-sensitized paper.
Sun prints are also called shadow prints or “Rayographs” after the artist Man Ray. Cyanotype paper is a light-sensitive coated paper.
- Step 1 Select item(s) such as leaves, flowers or objects found around the house. Arrange a composition that will fit the size of the paper. You can even use negatives but it can take up to 2 hours for exposure.
- Step 2 Assemble in this order: Surface or cardboard for the bottom SunArt Paper – blue side up (keep away from direct sunlight) Chosen item(s) Acrylic sheet which holds items in place (Peel Blue protective masking from acrylic sheet before use)
- Step 3 Expose to the sunlight until SunArt Paper turns a very light blue. Approximately 1-5 minutes, depending on sunlight. Stay away from shadows.
- Step 4 Once the SunArt Paper has turned a very light blue, carefully slide the paper out from backing board and your objects. Quickly rinse the SunArt Paper with water for about one minute. The image will turn lighter during this process. To obtain darker, more intense blue tones, simply add a few drops of lemon juice to a tray of water. Use the tray to rinse your exposed SunArt Paper.
- Step 5 Place the rinsed SunArt Paper on a flat surface or paper towels to dry. See your beautiful solar photograph darken to a richer blue as the SunArt Paper dries. To flatten, simply place the completely dried sheet under a book for 1-2 days.
Do not try to flatten your print before it is completely dry. Use only as directed. Adult supervision is recommended.